FAQs on the #iorestoacasa Decree of 9 March

Mar 11, 2020

[latest update] 26/03/2020


Are there any differences within the country?
No, after the March 9th decree, all measures and regulations apply to the entire country of Italy and they are effective from March 10th until April 3rd.

Are there Red Zones?
No, red zones do not exist anymore. All measures and regulations instituted with the March 1st decree have been ended, the existence of red zones among those regulations. With the March 9th decree all limitations apply to the entire country.


What does “avoid all movements of people” mean? Are there bans? Is it possible to travel because of work? Can individuals under quarantine restrictions still travel?
Everyone needs to stay home and avoid movements outside. It is possible to travel because of work, medical reasons, or strictly necessary reasons (e.g. grocery shopping). When outside, individuals need to prove the reason of their trip, even with a self-declaration, provided by the local police and available online. The truthfulness of the self-declarations will be under further scrutiny and untruthful statements will be considered a crime.  Everyone is encouraged to work from home, if possible, or take vacations days. Without a valid reason, everyone is encouraged to just stay home. People in quarantine and positive to the virus are strictly forbidden from leaving their homes.

If I live in a municipality and work in a different one, can I travel back and forth?
Yes. That is considered a valid reason for traveling.

Are there mobility restrictions for individuals showing virus symptoms and with fever of 37,5 or higher?
In that instance, it is highly recommended to stay home, get in touch with your doctor and avoid all social interactions.

What does “proven working needs” mean? How can self-employed individuals prove that?
It is possible to move for work, but it is recommended to work from home, if possible. “Proven needs” means that individuals need to show proof that they are going, or coming back, from work (signed self-declaration). In case of inspection by the police, it is necessary to show proof of proven working needs. Authorities will then in charge of verifying the declaration and fine transgressors.

What do border workers need to do?
Border workers are allowed to enter and leave territories where they work, and come back to their residence. They will have to show proof (self-declaration) of their work-related travels.

Will there be checkpoints?
Yes, there will be checkpoints. Now that regulations apply to the entire country, checkpoints will not be at designated spots and borders, but the local police will be in charge of surveillance across the nation. 

Can individuals return to their homes if they happen to leave the house?
Yes, individuals have the right to go back to their homes. They are, though, only allow to leave their house for work, medical reasons, or strictly indispensable needs.

Is it possible to leave the house to go grocery shopping? Will groceries be available?
Yes, it will be possible. Groceries will always be available and there’s no need to stock up.

Is it possible to exercise outdoors?
Yes, it is allowed to exercise outdoors. However, exercise is only allowed in the proximity of the house and as a solitary activity.

Do I need a self-certification to exercise outside? 
No, you don’t need a self-certification for that. However, police might stop you and you would then need to sign the self-certification and explain your reason for being outside. 

Can I take a walk outside?  
It is only possible to walk outside for necessity (e.g. to get to work, buy groceries, health reasons), or to exercise outside. 

Can I use my bike?   
Yes, you can use your bike to get to work or get groceries, as long as you have your self-certification. It is also possible to bike for exercise, but you always need to keep safety distance and stay in the proximity of the house.  

Can I travel to my vacation house, even if I’m not resident there?   
No, it is only possible to travel for work, medical reasons or other strictly necessary reasons. 

Is it possible to go outside to buy other products, besides groceries?
Yes, but only when strictly needed (e.g. burnt out light bulbs).  Most businesses such as retail stores, with the exception of grocery stores, pharmacies, tobacco shops, newsstands (with the appropriate safety distances, will be closed.

Am I allowed to move to take care of elderly people?
Yes, it is considered a necessity. Keep in mind, though, that elderly people are at greater risk in this situation, so try to protect them by avoiding contacts.

Are people allowed to go to parks and public gardens?
No, parks and public gardens will be closed.

Am I allowed to go for lunch/dinner at my relatives’?
No, that is not considered a necessity.

How many people can be in a car? 
Two or people can ride a car together as long as they keep safety distances.  It is not allowed to ride a motorbike with someone, because it is not possible to keep safety distance. Those measures and restrictions do not apply to people living together. 

Am I allowed to go out to leave the trash? 
Yes. Always maintaining safety measures and distance from other people. 

Can I take my dog outside?
Yes, that is allowed. It is also possible to take your pet to the vet if necessary.

Can I bring my pet to the vet?
Yes, but only for emergencies. Regular check-ups need to be postponed. 

I’m separated/divorced, can I go visit my children if they don’t live with me?  
Yes, it is possible to move in order to visit underage children who live with the other parent. It is also allowed for the children to travel to the parent who does not live with them.


Are there restrictions for freight transports?
No, there are no restrictions for that. All goods (even if not of first necessity) can be transported across the entire country. Freight transport is considered work reason for traveling: drivers and personnel are allowed to move, as long as it is work related.

Can couriers travel?
Yes, they can.

I’m a self-employed truck driver. Are there restrictions regarding my work activity?
No, there are no restrictions regarding transiting and loading activity of goods.

Are there limitations for not scheduled public transports?
No. there are no limitations. Taxis have no restrictions because their activity is considered a work need. 


Will public offices be open?
Yes, they will be open across the entire country. Administrative work will follow regular schedules. Most services will also be available online. All schools, museums and libraries will, however, be closed.

The decree provides hygiene supplies and disinfectants for anyone working or entering public offices. Would offices need to stay closed in case they can’t provide those supplies, or can they be open?
Offices would have to stay open. Hygiene supplies are an extra precaution, but offices need to stay open even if those supplies are temporarily not available. 

Public employees with fever and flu symptoms, would have to use their sick days or would follow under different regulations because of the decree? 
They would have to use their regular sick days.If it is, later on, verified that the employee was positive to COVID-19, he or she would be able to regain their sick days.

I’m a public employee and I would like to switch to smart working. How can I do that?
The decree encourages everyone to switch to smart working and stay home. It is up to the employer to provide the tools and platforms to work remotely. The employee can submit an application to request working from home.


What type of businesses can stay open?
With the March 22nd decree, only essential businesses such as groceries, pharmacies, or essential services can stay open.

Can bars and restaurants be regularly open?
With the new decree, bars have to stay closed until April 3rd.

Can restaurants deliver food after 6PM?
Yes, restaurants have to stay close to the public, but they can proceed with their activity and deliver food. It will be the responsibility of the restaurant’s employer to make sure that there is no contact between the customer and the delivery person at the time of delivery.

The DPMC imposes medium and large retail businesses inside shopping malls to close during pre-festive and festive days. This measure does not include grocery stores – are food markets allowed to be open?
No, all markets need to be closed.

I own a pub. Can I keep my pub regularly open? 
No, pubs need to stay closed.

Can hair salons, barber shops and beauty salons stay open?
No, they have to stay closed.

Can driving schools stay open
No, they need to stay closed until April 3rd, following the same restrictions of all schools. 

Can real estate agencies stay open?
No, they are not considered a necessity and they have to stay closed until March 25th

Do private practices, call centers and shipping services need to close?
Yes. Only essential businesses can stay open.  

Can service station along highways, as well as bars/restaurants in airport and train stations be regularly open and sell food/drinks?
Bars and restaurants at train stations and gas stations need to stay closed, except for service stations along highways, which can stay open for take outs only. Bars/restaurants inside hospitals and airports can stay open, but they need to respect all safety measures. 

I own an herbalist shop. Can I stay open?
Yes. It is considered necessary because it can also sell hygiene products. 

Can construction sites stay open?
Yes. The decree does not put any restriction for construction sites. Workers and employers need to, however, respect and follow all safety measures and distances.  


What does the decree establish in regards to schools?
All schools will be closed until April 3rd. It is still possible to teach online and remotely.


What does the decree establish in regards to universities? 
All universities will be closed until April 3rd. All types of training courses and degrees, Master’s programs, continuing education and professional degrees, even private ones, will also be suspended unless able to proceed online.  Research activity is not suspended.

Is it possible to give exams and discuss dissertations?   
Yes, it will be possible, preferably remotely or following strict health and safety measures; in the instance of exams or dissertations conducted remotely, the necessary measures must be ensured to guarantee the required publicity.

Are other student activities allowed?
Yes. Doctoral courses, laboratories etc. are allowed, as long as health measures are followed. 

What are the regulations regarding medical specializations?  
Post-grad courses related to medicine will not be suspended, including courses for medical specializations, internships and traineeships. Research activity is also not suspended.  

What happens to students in Erasmus?
In regards to Erasmus projects, individuals should refer to specific European institutions for directions and guidelines.


What does the decree establish for ceremonies and events?
All events, public or private, are suspended across the entire country. That includes any cultural, recreational, religious event. Theaters, cinemas, clubs, bars and similar venues have to remain closed.  

Is it possible to go to church or other religious sites? Is it possible to go to mass or celebrate other religious rituals?
All ceremonies, religious or civil, are suspended until April 3rd. That includes funerals. Religious celebrations are all suspended. Religious sites such as churches can stay open, but they need to follow safety measures and avoid people gatherings.

What are the regulations for theaters, museums, libraries, movie theaters?
They will all be closed.

Will recreational centers for the elderly stay open?
No, they will also be closed.


What does the decree establish in regards to tourism?
Any type of travel related to tourism is to be avoided across the country. Italian and foreigner tourists already in the country need to limit their movements and return to their residence. Airports and train station will remain open so that tourists will be able to leave. It is recommended to check the status of the flights and train before leaving.

How can tourism establishments adapt to bar and restaurants limitations?   
Tourism establishments (e.g. hotels) can be open and serve, exclusively, their own clients between 6PM and 6AM, following all the appropriate health and safety measures.

What do tourism establishments need to do in regards to their own clients? Do they need to check the reason for their trip?  
It is not up to the establishment to check that.


Are there limitations and regulations in regards to transporting living animals, animals’ food and agri-food and fishing products?
No, there are no limitations.

If I’m a farmer, even a seasonal one, are there limitations to my work activity?  
No, there are no limitations.

If you have any questions, please contact us by filling out an online form or drop an email to info@mazzeschi.it

Giuditta Petreni

Giuditta Petreni has over 10 years of experience in assisting companies and business investors with relocation of managers and staff to Italy. Giuditta has extensive experience advising corporate and private clients on a full range of Italian immigration categories. She is fluent in Italian and English.

  • Contact us

    To request an initial assessment or to arrange a consultation call with one of our consultants, please provide us with your contact details and we will get back to you within the next 24 (working) hours.

    Get in touch →
  • MAZZESCHI S.r.l. - C.F e P.IVA 01200160529 - Cap.Soc. 10.000 € I.V. - Reg. Imp. Siena 01200160529 - REA SI-128403 - Privacy Notice - Cookies Policy
    Copyright © 2019 by Mazzeschi - Web Designer Alessio Piazzini Creazione siti web Firenze
  • Mazzeschi S.r.l. | Operazione/Progetto finanziato nel quadro del POR FESR Toscana 2014-2020
    Il progetto ITACA (ITaly Attract ChinA) è un investimento nei paesi/mercati a lingua cinese, in particolare Taiwan con l’obiettivo di accrescere le quote di mercato dell'azienda. Tramite ITACA la Mazzeschi Srl ha aperto un ufficio a Taiwan con assunzione di personale di lingua cinese, creato un sito internet in lingua cinese e partecipato a fiere e varie attività di promozione a Taiwan.

    Mazzeschi S.r.l. | Project co-financed under Tuscany POR FESR 2014-2020
    The ITACA project (ITaly Attract ChinA) is a fund to invest in Chinese-speaking countries/markets, in particular Taiwan with the aim of increasing the company's market shares. With the help of ITACA project, Mazzeschi Srl has opened an office in Taiwan and has hired a Chinese-speaking staff, created a Chinese website and participated in fairs and various promotional activities in Taiwan.