FAQs on the #iorestoacasa Decree – Phase 2

Jun 01, 2020

[latest update 01/06/2020]


  1. Can I travel outside the region I live in?Until June 2, 2020, travel outside one’s region is allowed only for proven work, urgent and essential or health reasons, in the latter case also to accompany a relative in need of assistance. From June 3 it will be possible to travel freely from one region to another of the country. However, travel between the regions may be restricted, by the Government alone (by order of the President of the Council of Ministers or the Health Minister), in relation to specific areas and to any relevant epidemiological risks.
  2. Are there limits for persons with symptoms of a respiratory infection and a fever above 37.5 degrees?Persons with such symptoms are required to stay in their own home, limit social contact as much as possible, and call their doctor.
  3. I’m in self-isolation or subject to quarantine restrictions. Am I allowed to travel?If you’re in quarantine, or have tested positive to the coronavirus, you are strictly required to stay at home.
  4. If I’m away from my home or residence, can I return to it?Yes, the decree ensures that it is always allowed to return to one’s own primary home or residence, even if it is in a different region.
  5. I work as a civil defence volunteer. Can I travel outside the commune where I am currently based to deal with an emergency situation?Yes, the ban on travel outside the region you are based in does not apply to civil defence volunteers engaged in ordinary activities or in tackling the coronavirus health emergency under way (such as Italian Red Cross volunteers, for example), because civil defence operations are considered work purposes.
  6. I am a civilian service volunteer. Can I travel to fulfil my duties?Yes, you can, because civilian service operations are considered “work purposes” and therefore, according to the Decree, are justified, albeit solely to/from the area concerned and for the time required by the service.
  7. After having returned to my home/place of residence/dwelling in a certain region, can I travel outside that region?Until June 2, 2020, travel between regions is allowed only for proven work, urgent and essential or health reasons (see the relevant FAQ). Therefore, if you have returned to home/place of residence/dwelling from another region, you may no longer leave the region you have returned to until the ban on travel between regions is lifted, except for the reasons mentioned above.
  8. Can I commute to work if I live in a different region?Travelling for work purposes is allowed, but only if you cannot work from home or take holiday entitlement or other leave arrangements.
  9. I am separated / divorced. Can I travel to visit my minor children?Travel by a parent to visit or pick up minor children living with the other parent, or with a guardian, is allowed, also from one region to another. In this case, however, you must follow the shortest possible route and comply with all the health and safety requirements (regarding persons in quarantine or who have tested positive or are immune-depressed, etc.), as well as with the separation or divorce arrangements established by the court or agreed to with the other parent.
  10. Can I go out to a park or other public green spaces?Yes, parks and other public green spaces are open, although visitors are required to strictly respect the ban on gatherings and to observe social distancing of at least one metre at all times.
  11. I have a minor child / take care of a child or other disabled or dependent person. Can I take them out to a park or other public green spaces?Yes, minors or disabled or dependent persons require an accompanying person or carer during visits to parks or other public green spaces for exercise. There is no obligation to respect social distancing or wear a face mask when you are in the company of other members of your household. When you are with people outside your household you must wear a face mask at all times, in alternative to social distancing, except for children aged under 6 years or persons with a respiratory condition who cannot have their breathing restricted.
  12. Can I take my children to a public playground or recreational area?Children are allowed into playgrounds and other outdoor recreational areas in public parks or other green spaces, accompanied by a relative, a member of their household or a child minder, to play or for recreational purposes, in accordance with the guidelines issued by the Department for Family Policy (see Annex 8 to the May 17 Decree).
  13. Can I travel anywhere in the country to carry out professional activities that require my physical presence, such as surveying and / or measuring land or buildings?Yes, so long as you strictly comply with the contagion containment measures at all times. In this case you will be allowed to travel solely for work purposes, which, however, you must be able to prove, also by means of the self-certification form.
  14. What rules apply to travel on public transport?The use of public transport is restricted to ensure social distancing at all times. Passengers must wear a face mask or other nose and mouth covering. Detailed rules concerning the use of public transport can be found in Annex 14 to the May 17 Decree. Passengers are also required to strictly abide by the rules issued by the local authorities and the transport staff.
  15. Will there be any changes to scheduled transport services?To mitigate and slow the spread of COVID-19 across the country, all scheduled land, sea, rail, air lake and inland waterway transport services are being provided in accordance with the “Common protocol regulating the measures to counter and contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus in the transport and logistics sector” signed on March 20, 2020, in Annex 14 of the May 17 Decree, and the “Guidelines for information to users and procedures for the containment of the spread of Covid-19” referred to in Annex 15 of the said Decree.
  16. Can I travel in a vehicle, or other means of locomotion, with people who are not members of my household?Yes, as long as you can observe the same social distancing rule that applies to all non-scheduled transport: i.e. the driver must be alone at the front of the vehicle, with no more than two passengers per row of seats behind and all passengers must wear a face mask. Passengers are allowed not to wear a face mask only if there is a (plexiglass or other) protection barrier between the front and back rows of seats, in which case there must be only the driver in the front of the vehicle and only one passenger at the back. None of these rules apply, however, if the occupants of the vehicle are all members of the same household.
  17. I have accompanied a sick person to the hospital emergency department (DEA/PS). Can I remain in the waiting room?No, persons accompanying a patient to the emergency department (DEA/PS) are not allowed to remain in the waiting room, unless otherwise authorised by the medical staff.
  18. I am a relative or friend of a patient hospitalised in a long-term care ward or care home (RSA) or hospice or rehabilitation facility for elderly or (non-) independent patients. Am I allowed to visit?Visits by family members or friends to patients in long-term care facilities or care homes are allowed only if and as authorised by the management. We therefore recommend you contact the facility or home beforehand, and enquire about the visiting conditions, if any.
  19. What are the rules governing international travel?For information regarding international travel, please consult the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
  20. How will travel to and from abroad change from June 3?From June 3, people will be allowed to travel freely from and to the following States:
    • Member States of the European Union (besides Italy, the following are EU Member States: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the Czech Republic);
    • States party to the Schengen Agreement (non-EU States party to the Schengen Agreement are: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland);
    • United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland;
    • Andorra, Principality of Monaco;
    • Republic of San Marino and Vatican City State.

    From 3 June, persons travelling to Italy from these countries will no longer be required to self-isolate under the supervision of the health authorities for 14 days, unless they have stayed in other Countries during a 14-day period prior to entering Italy. For example, persons travelling to Italy from France on June 14 will be required to self-isolate only if they travelled to France from the United States, for example, on June 4; however, they will not be required to self-isolate if they travelled to France from the United States prior to May 30, or if they stayed in Germany between May 31 and June 13. Between June 3 and 15, the same rules applying until June 2 to travel to from abroad shall continue to apply to travel to and from States other than those listed above (see the previous FAQ). For more information visit the website of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
  21. Which rules apply to cross-border workers?Cross-border workers are allowed to leave and re-enter the country, using either private vehicles or public transport to / from their workplace and home, and may prove their work reasons in any way, including self-certification or other documents showing that they work in a bordering country (see previous FAQs). Under Community rules, the term ‘cross-border worker’ means an employee, or self-employee, who works in one Member State and resides in another, to which he or she returns as a rule daily or at least once a week. For example, someone who works in Switzerland but resides in Italy, provided that he or she returns home, to Italy, at least once a week.
  22. Are foreign nationals required to observe the same travel limitations as Italian citizens?Yes, the restrictions to travel and movement apply to all persons in or entering/exiting Italy, regardless of their nationality.


  1. Will public or private sector employers be required to make available the necessary smart working tools for all their employees?No. If the public or private sector employer is unable to provide the necessary tools employees may use their own IT equipment. However, (public or private sector) employers shall be required to adopt all the organisational and management measures required to ensure smart working, on an ordinary basis.
  2. Can refresher and training courses be provided by means of agile working?Yes. Refresher and training courses be provided by means of agile working.
  3. Do the guidelines set out in Annex 12 to the May 17 Decree, “Common protocol regulating the measures to counter and contain the spread of the Covid-19 virus in the workplace”, apply to the Public Administration as well as the private sector?The Protocol applies only to the private sector.


  1. The Decree provides that hand sanitisers must be made available to all staff members and members of the public in public offices nationwide. If such hand sanitisers become difficult to procure and, therefore, are temporarily unavailable, shall the offices be allowed to remain open?Public offices should remain open in all cases. Hand sanitisers are a further precautionary measure and their temporary unavailability does not justify closing the office. Instead, all the necessary measures must be adopted to ensure a regular supply.
  2. Is it possible to organise workplace attendance activities on the basis of telephone appointments with members of the public?Yes. Directive 2/2020 by the Ministry for Public Administration highlights that services to the public shall be provided, without prejudice to the performance of urgent activities, primarily online or through any other arrangement that does not require the physical presence of any people on the premises, or requires only a limited number of people (for example, by telephone or virtual assistants). If such arrangements prove impossible to implement, access by the public to any public offices shall be staggered, subject to prior appointment, and the premises must be adequately ventilated. Public sector employers must accurately sanitise the premises and all surfaces and a suitable distance – the so-called “droplet distance” – must be observed at all times between the staff and the members of the public.

More FAQs on the Italian Government’s Phase 2, please consult these following websites:

Italian version: “Fase 2” – Domande frequenti sulle misure adottate dal Governo

English version: FAQs on the Italian Government’s Phase 2

What are the current recommendations for travellers?

According to the provisions currently in force across the national territory, only travel motivated by proven work needs, necessary matters or health reasons is permitted. However, it is forbidden to all natural persons to move or travel, by public or private transport, towards a different municipality than the one in which they are currently located, except for proven work needs, urgent matters or health reasons: It is also forbidden to move to homes other than the main place of residence, including holiday homes.

These provisions are also valid for entry in Italy.

What measures are planned for entry in Italy?

Anyone intending to enter Italy, by air, sea, lake, rail or land transport, or by private means of transport. In order to access any travelling service, upon boarding, it is required to provide the chosen carrier with a statement containing clear and detailed information, to allow authentication by the carriers or shipowners, including:

  • reasons for travelling
  • full address of the house or dwelling in Italy where the period of health surveillance and  fiduciary isolation will be carried out
  • any private means of transport that will be employed to travel
  • Landline or mobile telephone number where communications can be received during the entire period of health surveillance and fiduciary isolation.

All travellers entering Italy, even if asymptomatic, are obliged to immediately notify the Prevention Department of the competent territorial health service and are subject to health surveillance and fiduciary isolation for a period of fourteen days at the home or residence stated at the time of boarding.

In the event of the onset of COVID-19 symptoms, travellers are obliged to report this situation promptly to the Health Authority via the dedicated telephone numbers.

For further information please refer to:

If you have any questions, please contact us by filling out an online form or drop an email to info@mazzeschi.it

Giuditta Petreni

Giuditta Petreni has over 10 years of experience in assisting companies and business investors with relocation of managers and staff to Italy. Giuditta has extensive experience advising corporate and private clients on a full range of Italian immigration categories. She is fluent in Italian and English.

  • Contact us

    To request an initial assessment or to arrange a consultation call with one of our consultants, please provide us with your contact details and we will get back to you within the next 24 (working) hours.

    Get in touch →
  • MAZZESCHI S.r.l. - C.F e P.IVA 01200160529 - Cap.Soc. 10.000 € I.V. - Reg. Imp. Siena 01200160529 - REA SI-128403 - Privacy Notice - Cookies Policy
    Copyright © 2019 by Mazzeschi - Web Designer Alessio Piazzini Creazione siti web Firenze
  • Mazzeschi S.r.l. | Operazione/Progetto finanziato nel quadro del POR FESR Toscana 2014-2020
    Il progetto ITACA (ITaly Attract ChinA) è un investimento nei paesi/mercati a lingua cinese, in particolare Taiwan con l’obiettivo di accrescere le quote di mercato dell'azienda. Tramite ITACA la Mazzeschi Srl ha aperto un ufficio a Taiwan con assunzione di personale di lingua cinese, creato un sito internet in lingua cinese e partecipato a fiere e varie attività di promozione a Taiwan.

    Mazzeschi S.r.l. | Project co-financed under Tuscany POR FESR 2014-2020
    The ITACA project (ITaly Attract ChinA) is a fund to invest in Chinese-speaking countries/markets, in particular Taiwan with the aim of increasing the company's market shares. With the help of ITACA project, Mazzeschi Srl has opened an office in Taiwan and has hired a Chinese-speaking staff, created a Chinese website and participated in fairs and various promotional activities in Taiwan.