Unmarried partner can obtain residence permit

Nov 08, 2017

The Council of State (n. 5040/2017) has ruled that also the foreign partner cohabiting more uxorio (i.e. marriage in fact) with an Italian citizen, can obtain a residence permit for family reasons. This broad interpretation of Italian Immigration law is based on the new provisions introduced by Law No. 76/2016 on civil unions – whereby cohabitation is defined as “the status of two people who have a stable relationship based on emotional bonds and on reciprocal moral and material assistance” – and on Decree 30/2007 on the right of EU and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the EU and EEA member states (Directive 2004/38/EC).

  • Contact us

    To request an initial assessment or to arrange a consultation call with one of our consultants, please provide us with your contact details and we will get back to you within the next 24 (working) hours.

    Get in touch →
  • MAZZESCHI S.r.l. - C.F e P.IVA 01200160529 - Cap.Soc. 10.000 € I.V. - Reg. Imp. Siena 01200160529 - REA SI-128403 - Privacy Notice - Cookies Policy
    Copyright © 2019 by Mazzeschi - Web Designer Alessio Piazzini Creazione siti web Firenze