Temporary Protection for Ukrainian Citizens in Italy

Apr 01, 2022

The Italian government has announced measures for the recognition of international protection for those fleeing from Ukraine following recent events.

In this document, you can find a Q&A based on the Presidential Decree DPCM signed on March 28, 2022, containing all the information for the request for temporary protection for Ukrainian citizens (that have been residing in Ukraine before 24th Feb 2022) entering Italy.

Can I travel to Italy or to any other Schengen countries?

  Yes, you can move freely within the Schengen Area for a period of 90 days, within 180 days after being admitted to the Member State’s territory. If you got an “entry stamp” on your passport from another EU country different from Italy you will have to go to the local police station to formalize your declaration of presence (dichiarazione di presenza) within 8 days from your arrival      
What kind of protection will I be granted once entering Italy?  

  In this case, you will be granted the “Temporary Protection” status.
Do I need my Ukrainian passport to request this protection?
  Yes, but if you don’t have one, the Embassy or Consulate of Ukraine in Italy has clarified that Ukrainian citizens fleeing the war without identification documents will be identified in the Consulates upon arrival.   Although it is advisable to procure, if possible, your birth certificate, or any other documents attesting the parental status if you are going to apply even for other family members.  
How long does this protection last?

  Temporary protection lasts for one year starting from March 1st, 2022, extendable up to one other year (6+6 months) Yet, please note that Italy and/or the EU can interrupt this scheme in case the Ukrainian situation changes in a positive way.  
Can I work in Italy with the “Temporary Protection”?  

  Yes. The temporary protection permit of stay allows you to work in Italy.  
Can I get residency in Italy?

  You can move your residency to Italy, yet this means that you cannot register your residency also in another EU Member State.   Please note that in order to take residency in Italy, you will first need to obtain the permit for “Temporary Protection”.  
Can I register at the Local Healthcare Centre (ASL/ATS/ASST)?

  Yes, you can register at the Local Healthcare Centre (ASL/ATS/ASST).
Can I have access to social assistance or other means of subsistence?  

  You will be recognized with a “particular form of social assistance for special protection status”.
Can my children go to school?
  Yes, they will have immediate access to education.  

Useful links:

You may also check the following documents and links.

Are you looking for assitance?

There are many NGOs and organizations assisting Ukrainian citizens in Italy. Here you can find a list some of them:

For further information, please find below some links explaining the current situation and the position of Ukrainian nationals:

For Non-Ukrainian citizens entering Italy

Which category of people (non-Ukrainian nationals) can apply for temporary protection in order to benefit from the same rights as the subjects mentioned above?

  1. third countries, other than Ukraine, nationals who can prove that they were legally residing in Ukraine before 24th Feb. 2022 on the basis of a valid permanent residence permit issued in accordance with Ukrainian law, and who are unable to return in safe and durable conditions to their country or region of origin.
  2. people who benefit from international protection or equivalent national protection in Ukraine before 24th Feb. 2022;
  3. Family members of a) and b).

Once the requirements are verified, these individuals may be granted the same protection as Ukrainian citizens (please check the above chart).

  • Contact us

    To request an initial assessment or to arrange a consultation call with one of our consultants, please provide us with your contact details and we will get back to you within the next 24 (working) hours.

    Get in touch →
  • MAZZESCHI S.r.l. - C.F e P.IVA 01200160529 - Cap.Soc. 10.000 € I.V. - Reg. Imp. Siena 01200160529 - REA SI-128403 - Privacy Notice - Cookies Policy
    Copyright © 2019 by Mazzeschi - Web Designer Alessio Piazzini Creazione siti web Firenze
  • Mazzeschi S.r.l. | Operazione/Progetto finanziato nel quadro del POR FESR Toscana 2014-2020
    Il progetto ITACA (ITaly Attract ChinA) è un investimento nei paesi/mercati a lingua cinese, in particolare Taiwan con l’obiettivo di accrescere le quote di mercato dell'azienda. Tramite ITACA la Mazzeschi Srl ha aperto un ufficio a Taiwan con assunzione di personale di lingua cinese, creato un sito internet in lingua cinese e partecipato a fiere e varie attività di promozione a Taiwan.

    Mazzeschi S.r.l. | Project co-financed under Tuscany POR FESR 2014-2020
    The ITACA project (ITaly Attract ChinA) is a fund to invest in Chinese-speaking countries/markets, in particular Taiwan with the aim of increasing the company's market shares. With the help of ITACA project, Mazzeschi Srl has opened an office in Taiwan and has hired a Chinese-speaking staff, created a Chinese website and participated in fairs and various promotional activities in Taiwan.