Conversion of student permit in Italy: Converting your residence permit from study to work purpose

Aug 01, 2023

Conversion of student permit in Italy

Conversion of the study permit to work permit can now be requested at any time during the year without waiting for the quotas set in the “decreto flussi”

The residence permit issued for study, internship or training allows for limited work (up to 20 hours per week, up to 52 weeks, with an annual limit of 1,040 hours) and can be converted into a permit for subordinate (permesso di soggiorno per lavoro subordinato) or self-employment (permesso di soggiorno per lavoro autonomo) work, allowing to engage in full time work activities.

When can I apply for the conversion of the study permit in Italy ?

Further to the publication of the so-called “decreto Cutro” (DL 20 March No. 23, converted into Law No. 50 on 5 May 2023) it is no longer necessary to have to apply for a “quota” from the annual “decreto flussi” (flow decree) for the conversion. As a consequence valid study permits can now be converted at any time during the year without numerical limits.

To request the Conversion of student permit in Italy (including those of internship or training), the permit must be valid and not expired (however the Council of State has interpreted this requirement flexibly, and under certain conditions, a delay in submitting the conversion application does not cause the rejection of the application – judgment of 11 November 2021)

The conversion of student permit in Italy can be requested even before the completing the study program or even if the applicant has not graduated in Italy. However, for permits issued for training courses or internships in Italy, conversion is only possible after the completion of the training or internship program.

How to apply for the conversion of the study permit to work permit?

If applying for the conversion from study to subordinate work, the applicant must have a job offer for subordinate work. The proposed working hours must exceed 20 hours per week.

For conversion from study to autonomous work, the applicant must present documentation related to the planned activity and the financial availability needed for it (income higher than the minimum level required by law for exemption from health expenses, i.e., €8,500). Highter minimum amount can be applied depending on the business activity (consequently on the type/category of permit issued by the Chamber of Commerce) that the applicant will be performing in Italy.

To apply for conversion, the study permit holder must 

  • access (using SPID) and submit the application electronically through the Ministry of the Interior’s portal
  • The Immigration Desk (Sportello Unico per l’Immigrazione) of the province where the foreign student resides will verify and evaluate the application and eventually issue an appointment 
  • at the appointment, the student will submit the documents and (in case of subordinate work) sign the contract of stay with the employer. 
  • Additionally, the foreign individual will be provided with a kit for the application of the residence permit for work

Depending on the specific type of conversion, the forms to be used are:

  • model VA (for subordinate work)
  • model Z (for self-employment work)
  • model V2 (subordinate work for foreign nationals who turned 18 or have graduated in Italy)
  • model Z2 (self employment work for foreign nationals who turned 18 or have graduated in Italy)

Conversion of student permit in Italy: What can I do if I need more time for job searching in Italy?

If you hold an accredited an Italian undergraduate/graduate degree, Ph.D., university “master”, first/second level academic degree, Higher Technical Institute diploma, you can register as unemployed and apply for a permit for the purpose of job searching or entrepreneurship (Permesso di soggiorno per ricerca lavoro o imprenditorialita‘ degli studenti). This kind of permit allows students to legally live in Italy after their graduation while searching for a job/start a business for max 1 year.

Are there any other options?

Have a look at #STARTUPHUB. It’s a program for those willing to set up or join a Startup in Italy.

You might be interested also in EU BLUE CARD. There is a special work permit only for highly skilled and qualified employees which is Not subject to quotas.

With our Multilingual Service Desks with native English, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish and Arabic speaking associates serving as a contact point, we offer a dense network of lawyers specialized in Italian Immigration and Citizenship law.

  • Contact us

    To request an initial assessment or to arrange a consultation call with one of our consultants, please provide us with your contact details and we will get back to you within the next 24 (working) hours.

    Get in touch →
  • MAZZESCHI S.r.l. - C.F e P.IVA 01200160529 - Cap.Soc. 10.000 € I.V. - Reg. Imp. Siena 01200160529 - REA SI-128403 - Privacy Notice - Cookies Policy
    Copyright © 2019 by Mazzeschi - Web Designer Alessio Piazzini Creazione siti web Firenze