Living and working in Italy: FAQs

Jul 21, 2022
Can I apply or extend my business visa in Italy? Can I work in other EU countries with my Italian permit? Can I bring my spouse and children with me? More questions about living and working in Italy, find out answers in this article.
No. Extension is possible only in cases of force majeure (hospitalization)
Yes, however, in such cases, only business activities are allowed
No.Visa application must be filed at Italian Consulate where you are domiciled
Yes. Consulate will keep your passport while an application is pending.
No. “work” visas do not generally require an interview, except for “self-employment “ visas
Yes. Within 8 days from entry you must apply for Police registration and request a permit of stay (permesso di soggiorno)
Only your permit of stay (and work permit) must be extended.
Only an ICT permit issued under Directive 66/2014 allows working in other countries.
Only if you are listed in the Schengen Information System (SIS) or Interpol Database*
No. When renewing your permit of stay, you are allowed to stay in Italy but travelling to other Schengen contries is not possible.
Yes. You need to avoid any transit or layover in other Schengen countries.
Yes. If you obtain a minimum 1-year visa.
Yes, but only when his/her permit of stay will be officially issued.
Yes, but you will need your Italian Tax Code (Codice Fiscale)
Yes. It is possible to obtain an Italian Tax Code (Codice Fiscale) before arriving in Italy.
Yes. Anyone who applies for a 1-year (or longer) permit must pass a basic language test within 2 years

* Entry can be denied to individuals who have been convicted for homicide, robbery, riot, harm against public officers, narcotics trafficking, sex offenses and abuses, aiding and abetting of illegal immigrants, prostitution exploitation, employment of minors in illicit activities, copyright-related offenses.

  • Contact us

    To request an initial assessment or to arrange a consultation call with one of our consultants, please provide us with your contact details and we will get back to you within the next 24 (working) hours.

    Get in touch →
  • MAZZESCHI S.r.l. - C.F e P.IVA 01200160529 - Cap.Soc. 10.000 € I.V. - Reg. Imp. Siena 01200160529 - REA SI-128403 - Privacy Notice - Cookies Policy
    Copyright © 2019 by Mazzeschi - Web Designer Alessio Piazzini Creazione siti web Firenze